Thursday, January 13, 2011

A poll, of sorts (story first!)

What would you do?

A couple of years ago, I got a very special (aka expensive) anklet from Sean.  It was soon after we began DD, and was a "renewing of vows" if you will.  Or maybe a secondary wedding ring.  The deal was, I had to wear it all the time.

And the deal didn't last long.  It didn't take long for it to become unhooked in the night.... several times.  Then the inevitable happened, it got lost good.  We were both really saddened, almost depressed about it.  But we moved on, and that was that.

Miraculously, it appeared nearly a year later.... in the toilet tank.  We don't really have any idea how it got there (and mind you, it was lost BEFORE we had a toddler running around, so that wasn't it).  Regardless, the first thing we did was go to the jeweler and put a new, more sturdy clasp on it.  And it stayed... for another year.

I usually check its placement every time I exercise, mainly because if I don't use my sock to keep it in certain place, it will cut into my ankle from being pushed by tennis shoe.  I was excused from exercising while family was visiting over Christmas, and during that time, I didn't really check on it.

Vacation ended, I went to exercise the first time, and the anklet wasn't there.  We searched high and low, went through all the laundry (etc) and still haven't found it. 

I'm of the opinion that we were probably asking for it by keeping it on all the time.  I know that wear on jewelry can make delicate gold links in chains can cause them to weaken.  Furthermore, it was around my ankle, and less "placed" like a wedding band (and weight gain that usually happens after a wedding ;-) )  I do feel terrible about it being gone - that maybe I should've checked it more often during vacation.

I think I should add a disclaimer before I ask the question - this is obviously my side of the story, and I'm sure Sean has something else to say about it.

So here's the question/poll:  Do you think I should've got a spanking for losing the anklet?

-- Mary-Kate

5 comments:

  1. Mary Kate,

    I'd think loosing the very special piece of jewelry would be punishment enough. It's obvious you feel bad about it. So unless you feel you need spanking my vote would be no you shouldn't have.

    I've never answered a poll like this before. lol

    Serenity

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound like you were careless about it at all, so I'd vote no.

    Is this a Sean-sanctioned poll, btw? I've never tried it, but I think I'd get spanked for polling people about whether or not I should be spanked, lol!!

    Hum tends to apply the OPPOSITE of the comma rule to spanking. In other words... when in doubt, SPANK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do you think I should've got a spanking..."

    It sounds like the spanking has already occurred. I would say you two communicating on this would probably be more beneficial now. You may not ever agree on this. But you could better understand each other after talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for no spanking. I'm sure you're heartbroken that you lost it...that has to hurt enough. Hope it turns up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naah. The problem is that it's unrealistic to expect a piece of jewelry to stay in place all the time. It was bound to come off and get lost, no matter how careful you were. Things like that have to be taken off and put back on with some deliberation.

    That said, it's not my decision to make.

    ReplyDelete